Batten down the hatches!
Here we are again, entering the back end of the year which certainly seems to come around quicker each time. With all the events of this year, and the recent rising Covid-19 concerns it is perhaps easy to overlook the need to ensure your property is ready for the months ahead.
Here are some of our handy tips to help protect your property over the coming months.
* Ensure that all outside pipes are properly clad. If you notice any cracks then make sure they are dealt with as a matter of urgency.
* Check for leaks from washing machines and dishwashers, outside taps, baths, sinks and toilets.
* Be sure that you and your tenants know the location of all main and subsidiary stop taps and ensure they are fully operational – being able to turn off the water in an emergency is very important!
* Check that your roof is in a well-maintained state, check for slipped, cracked or broken tiles and ensure that you get them professionally fixed.
* Clear gutters of leaves and debris.
* Check outside lighting is working, especially if there are steps or pathways that can become slippery
* Check Chimneys are swept
* Get your boiler serviced
* Secure dustbins, garden furniture, gates, fence panels, shed doors and loose items in case of strong winds
* It may not be so easy to carry out Property Visits in the current times so keep in touch with your tenants. Ask them to report any maintenance issues promptly and to make you aware of any changes in their ability to pay the rent on time and in full.
* Before you or any contractor you employ, visit the property you should ensure tenants are not displaying any Covid-19 symptoms and / or are not self isolating. Social distancing should be observed at all times and you should wear a face covering. There is Government guidance on working safely in other peoples homes which you can see here
If required we can recommend reputable, local contractors who can help with these tasks. Please let us know if you need assistance.All resources & news